Wiltshire Glebe Terriers, Steve Hobbs

 

Glebe terriers are schedules of the land, property, tithes and offerings with which benefices are endowed. They were drawn up by clergy and churchwardens as instructed by the bishop and were deposited in the Diocesan Registry. Almost 900 survive for this county and are now in the Wiltshire and Swindon Record Office. They range in date from 1588 to 1783, although at no date when a terrier was asked for did every parish produce one. They provide the most comprehensive source for land tenure, agricultural practice and custom, and topographical details covering the 16th–18th centuries. They are also a useful genealogical source, as the names of over 7,000 witnesses, tenants and landowners appear in them. An assessment of the often detailed descriptions of parsonage and vicarage houses, particularly in the 1783 terriers, will be covered by Pamela Slocombe of the Wiltshire Buildings Record in the introduction to the WRS volume on Glebe Terriers. [The volume was published in 2003.]